Sustainable viticulture is an integral part of our production philosophy and the concepts which it is based on are:
– the economic longevity of facilities and territories;
– obtaining quality products;
– the enhancement of the proprietary, historical, cultural, ecological and landscape aspects in the Bolgheri area.
At Ornellaia, the concept of environmental sustainability, understood as the use of the natural fertility of the soil, while favouring it with limited intervention and promoting the biodiversity of the cultivated species, is identifiable in various practices implemented in our vineyards, such as:
– managing the plant site by limiting the movement of the earth as much as possible;
– constantly revitalizing the air and radical environment through herbaceous covering of the land (grassing);
– improving the physical nature of the soil and therefore stimulating the regular development of the plant through organic fertilization;
– abandoning the use of chemical herbicides by utilizing the mechanical control of weeds.